Why we buy travel insurance
We love to travel. We travel as much as we can and stay as long as possible in each destination. Although we plan carefully and do tons of research, there is always a chance something could interfere with our plans– like the time Neil broke a tooth in QLD, Australia, or when Laurie had her laptop stolen right out of her luggage!
That’s where travel insurance comes in. It made those problems easily manageable and kept them from ruining our fun. A lot of news reports from New York Times and Consumer Reports have written about the benefits of travel insurance. We always purchase a policy before we ever leave home. Here are some of the ways that a good travel insurance policy makes travel easier.
- help if you must cancel a trip for a covered reason.
- help pay for reasonable meals and a hotel stay if a flight gets delayed overnight.
- help cancel a trip due to bad weather or hurricanes.
- help if baggage is lost, damaged or stolen.
- cover emergency medical or dental care.
- offer a 24/7 emergency assistance hotline to help travelers with hospital and doctor recommendations, evacuations, or assistance getting out of a country in time of crisis.
- offer gap insurance for emergency medical care while traveling.
- be affordable. Most policies run 4-8 percent of total trip cost.
There are dozens of different providers of travel insurance and each one has more than one policy. Which is why we recommend InsureMyTrip.com. This web site provides a valuable service to travelers by letting you compare all the different plans from the various companies in one place and easily choose the one that fits best.
InsureMyTrip makes it easy to find the perfect travel insurance plan at the lowest price. In our experience their customer service is first rate too.