Keep us traveling and blogging! Purchasing our hand picked products through links on this site earn Neil and Laurie a commission at no cost to you. We appreciate your support.
Beginning an international travel adventure takes a lot of research. It can also be a little nerve wracking. I used to get a queasy feeling when it came to the final on-line click which would result in spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars on airline tickets. Even after rechecking the dates for the third time, I still felt a bit uneasy. What if a health issue caused our plans to change? What if a family member became sick or worse? We don’t have the budget to lose a chunk of our travel money.
And what about our own health care while we are abroad? Our US based health insurance is worthless in foreign countries. Then there are worries about lost luggage and missed connections. There are so many details that must be nailed down properly if we are to enjoy our travel adventure.
Luckily there is now low cost insurance available for travelers that brings peace of mind and ensures that if things do go wrong, at least the financial part of our trip is not at risk. After a lot of research, we choose World Nomads as our “safety net” and are pleased to report that we are very satisfied with our choice.
One of the reasons, we chose World Nomads was for its flexibility.
You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you’ve left home.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing your travel insurance plan to make sure that you’ve got the cover you want for your adventure:
- Cancellation: It’s no fun if you’re seriously ill before you leave and can’t go on your trip. All travel insurance plans are different and some have specific terms of cover for cancellation, so please read the policy wording relevant to you carefully.
- Lost or Stolen Gear: Most travel insurance plans have a per-item value limit – make sure its high enough to cover your gear or choose a policy that allows you to increase the limit.
- Medical expenses over and above evacuation: Check that your cover includes emergency treatment while away and transport to bring you home – remembering that in more serious circumstances, insurance providers will usually insist on getting you home for medical treatment if you’re fit enough to travel.
- Adventurous Activities: Look carefully at what your policy covers as each plan is different and may only cover specific sports and activities. Check that you’re covered to do all of the adventurous activities that you are planning while you’re away.
- Personal Liability: Accidents happen. If it’s found to be your fault and someone decides to sue you, you want to be covered. Read the full description of coverage in the policy wording and talk to the insurer first before you admit it was your fault. Also keep in mind travel insurance doesn’t typically cover liability while you’re driving (be it cars, motorbikes, scooters, boats… anything with a motor, really) so make sure you’ve got appropriate cover elsewhere if you need it.
- Is it safe to go there? Make sure you check your Government’s Travel Warnings and keep up to date with the latest travel safety advice on the road. You may not be covered if you choose to go to a place affected by war, terrorism, civil unrest or environmental disasters (like volcanoes, earthquakes, floods) and other major events where you may be at risk.
- Trusted reliable underwritersWorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you needWorldNomads.com provides cover for what’s important for travellers from over 150 countries. By focussing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it mostHad a change of plans? You can extend your policy indefinitely or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activitiesFrom skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safelyAll WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insuranceAll WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer serviceWe want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about what is covered and the 5 key parts of a World Nomads’ travel insurance policy. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.