Although the toxicity of DEET is unclear and is still under investigation, DEET has been clearly shown to be one of the most effective insect repellents for mosquitoes and ticks. If the choice is to get bitten and risk the chance of disease or apply a little DEET, we always choose to be protected.
We used this product at the beach in Costa Rica where the mosquitoes were abundant and the bites were painful and swelled alarmingly. We particularly liked that it was easy to apply and that it is long lasting. It was one of the most effective repellents we tried, and also worked on no-see-ums, which were also abundant. It comes out of the tube as a thick cream lotion that is splash and sweat resistant.
Developed for the Military
According to 3M, Ultrathon insect repellent was developed for the military to provide long lasting, time released protection in the harshast conditions against mosquitoes for up to 12 hours. Tested in the harshest conditions of South America.
Time Controlled Release Protection From:
- Biting Flies
- Gnats and Fleas
- Deer Flies
3M Polymer Technology
Ultrathon uses a unique 3M Polymer Technology optimized to enhance the efficacy of DEET and provide time controlled release of DEET. It is stable in Freeze/Thaw conditions and comes with a 5 year guarantee. Ultrathon is consistently rated as a top insect repellent by independent testing labs.
Works longer with less DEET
Because of the time release technology, it is designed to work longer with less DEET. Competitive products are alcohol based and when the alcohol evaporates you lose your protection.
More features of 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion
- Contains 34.34% DEET for superb protection against insect bites
- Proven to repel mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, chiggers, gnats, fleas and deer flies
- Repels mosquitoes that may carry Zika Virus, West Nile Virus, Dengue Fever, Chikungunya and deer ticks that may carry Lyme Disease
- Advanced 3M™ Controlled Release Technology provides a continuous shield of protection that lasts up to 12 hours when used as directed
- Unique time-release technology provides long-lasting protection
- 2-ounce tube meets TSA requirements for carry on luggage
- Stable formula lasts up to five years
- Easy-to-apply lotion
- Size: 2 ounces
- Keep out of reach of children
Here are some other top choices in insect protection
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $22.00