Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent Lotion with 20% Picaridin
It is important to have an effective insect repellent along when you travel in the tropics. DEET based products are effective, but DEET has been shown to be dangerous. This Picardin based product works well for us. It is easy to apply and easy to have on hand.
We are very picky when it comes to rubbing our skin with chemicals. Keeping ourselves free from the bites of mosquitoes and other unpleasant insects is a top priority, but we don’t want to poison ourselves in the process.
It is a well documented fact (see Consumer Reports, May 2015) that most “natural” repellents are ineffective. It is also proven that products with DEET work. But DEET has been shown to be dangerous to use.
When we have traveled unprepared, to prevent us from getting bitten and the potential for serious diseases, have used products with DEET, primarily because that is the only type of repellent that can be found in most foreign pharmacies and grocery stores.
We were very excited to find an insect repellent that has the effectiveness of DEET without the dangers. The active ingredient is Picardin. We like to pack a bottle of this lotion and also a box of convenient wipes. The wipes fit easily in your pocket or purse so that you always have them ready, and they make it easy to apply the repellent wherever you are. Nothing spoils a delicious meal in a charming outdoor restaurant like being swarmed by biting insects!
Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent Lotion is the new standard for topical insect repellent. Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent has a similar effect to DEET, yet it won’t harm gear and equipment. Picaridin repels mosquitoes and ticks like DEET but it also repels biting flies, stable flies, black flies, gnat, chiggers, and sand flies. At 20% active ingredient Picaridin, this long lasting topical insect repellent is effective up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks, and up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. 4 ounce bottle of lotion.
- Long-lasting topical insect repellent lotion with 20 percent Picaridin — more effective at repelling biting flies than DEET
- Effective up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks; up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies
- Safe to use on the whole family; won’t harm clothing, backpacks, fishing line, firearm finishes, watches, sunglasses, or other synthetic fabrics
- Virtually odorless; mild citrus scent evaporates when dry
- Consumer Reports’ top rated pick for insect repellent (May, 2015)